The restoration programme began in 1855 under the direction of the architect Jules de la Morandière.
The repairs to the roof, ramparts and walls alone took 20 years and were followed by the total reconstruction of the interior. Around 1875, Duke Alain, who wished to re-establish the family seat, equipped with all modern comforts, commissioned Henri Lafargue to undertake the work.
Duc Alain de Rohan (3rd from the left) with family and friends on the castle steps
In 1911, the celebrated landscape architect, Achille Duchêne, transformed much of the courtyard into the formal, French garden and created the English park below the ramparts.
The castle today
The castle remains the family home of the Rohans, who manage the site and continue the work of restoration. Classified as a historic monument in 1928, it is open to the public and hosts several events annually. Major restoration projects are financed in part by subsidies from the government, the Region and the Morbihan department.
|The Rohan Coat of Arms||The Chabot Coat of Arms|
Josselin, 14th Duke of Rohan, and his wife, Antoinette, own and manage the property, supervising the maintenance and promotion of this exceptional historic site, which they share with thousands of visitors throughout the year.
The friends of Josselin Castle
The association Les Amis du Château de Josselin was founded in 2009 with two main objectives. Firstly, through its membership to support the promotion and running of the castle to make it accessible to as many people as possible. Secondly, benefactors taxable in France and wishing to contribute financially to restoration projects will receive tax relief on their gift, if it is channelled through the intermediary of "La Demeure Historique". For further information write to : firstname.lastname@example.org